ART SUPPLIES 101
FROM CANVAS STRETCHING TO PAPER SELECTION
What you’ll learn
In this workshop taught by a professional artist and art handler, you’ll learn how to:
• choose and prepare your materials before you begin creating artwork.
• understand the differences between cold press vs hot press papers and alkaline vs acid-free papers.
• identify the right paint for your artwork including the benefits of oil vs acrylic and gouache vs watercolor.
• choose the right softness and density of graphite to achieve the look you want.
• choose the right canvas and stretcher bars.
• professionally stretch canvases to prevent warping.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Alexis Portilla is a professional artist with over 30 years experience in art handling for museums and galleries in New York City. He has also been a faculty instructor at Columbia University, teaching printmaking to graduate and postgraduate students. See more workshops offered by Alexis here.